Sunday, March 4, 2012

OneToOne Impacts - Students in the drivers seat!!

This week I had several messages from students. Some came as an email, some as a moodle message, some in conversation. All the messages told me about the impact of the laptops on their learning.

In the past students only used technology when they had a specific assignment in a class and the teacher gave them time to work on it in one of the computer labs.  But now they have access to the technology ALL the time. They can use it when they want. The power has shifted from the teachers to the students.

Here are some of the things I heard from students this week:

"I just completed unit 6-6 in tutor" (Math tutor software)
"My restaurant just made a profit!" (Virtual Restaurant Simulator)
"I am working on Khan Academy to learn trig."
"I want to learn about web design."
"I want to learn how to make an app."

These students were completing work that was not assigned as homework, because they wanted to accomplish a goal! They are starting to see learning as a reward in itself not just a grade.

I have several other students that are going to be starting a class on HTML web design. It is not in their schedule, they are not looking for a grade, they want to learn! They are going to be completing a course developed by another teacher (in moodle) from one of our other schools. They came to me and asked for this class, it is not a requirement.

The laptops are placing a wealth of learning opportunities in front of our students. Now we need to help teach them how to find and learn without a classroom! Or do we need to help our teachers learn to teach with out the walls of the classroom? How will teachers teach classes that are not on their schedule?

No comments:

Post a Comment